First steps with MonoGame.
It had been a long moment since I had drafted of article…
Very busy, I did not yet want to publish news (or a test), even if there was a lot to say, without starting the main subject of this blog: the (game) programming.
Further “Post XNA Game Engine Evolutions” I made some researches and I choose MonoGame: been used to XNA programming, it is a good way not to redo everything, over and above the fact that it leaves me more free for prototyping and testing (at code and architecture level). Furthermore, for my target platforms (Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox) it is free.
My other option was Unity 3D: it would have been completed if my only objective was to concentrate essentially on the contents of the games (although paying).
Installation of MonoGame.
At first, I have chooses the complicated way: get back sources to compile 😉
A complete tutorial is present on the site… It is necessary to download Mono (Open source implementation of .Net for PC and Linux), OpenGTK (wrapper OpenAL/OpenGL for MonoGame), GTK#, MonoDevelop (Xamarin Studio), mysysgit and TortoiseGit (tools of connection to the code warehouse):
So everything is ready to begin, or almost 😉
It is simpler to get back the installer and to use directly dll comming from the build last one (dll to be included in the projects XNA in Visual Studio).
After that, it does not more remain than to recover “starter kits”, “samples” (long) and to try to compile and to execute.
There, I am not going to make a nth version of the tutorials that I used to accelerate the apprenticeship… I am directly going to give the links, they are more complete than all that I could write at the moment 🙂
Now that the environment is operational, “still stay” to build the workflow (Tools, content pipeline, project, games) for the various platforms, to define and test the general architecture, etc.
But that it is another adventure 🙂